Xperia Play: Personal thoughts from an old PS gamer

I tried the demo unit from Singtel shop, and here is my impression of Xperia Play.

  • I expected the PlayStation game menu to pop up when I slide the phone but it did not happen (a quick google confirms someone messed up the settings since it is a display unit).
  • Two similar apps (PlayStation Pocket and Xperia Play, one for official games and another for third party games, respectively) for accessing games, I think this is a bad design.
  • The graphics of Crash Bandicoot is bad, I know it is an old PS game, but this is pre-installed in Xperia Play, which definitely will give an bad impression, considering iPhone has demonstrated games with high-quality graphics. More marketing on the games available now for Xperia Play will be needed to convince gamers to not hold on for NGP.
  • The buttons feel like, well, ordinary buttons.
  • I just tried the analogue touch pad on FIFA 11. It is responsive, the middle of each touch pad has a slight protrusion to let you gauge your finger position without looking, but the feeling could not match pushing a classic PS analogue joystick. One more thing to note: the graphics is bad.
  • Someone pointed out that Xperia Play will impress gamers to include the classic PS game titles. I definitely agree with the idea, as I will be thrilled if I could play Super Robot Wars Alpha on my Android phone. However, there is already a quite successful PS emulator out there, and it very much depends on the willingness and speed of Sony Ericsson to add the game titles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foxit Reader vs. PDF-XChange Viewer

Apple event 23 October 2012

Glitch at Microsoft Store Singapore: $5 Office 2013 Pro