K-Lite Mega Codec Pack vs. Shark007's Free Codec

Last edited 22 Jan 2011.

Tried: K-Lite, Shark007; Also Known: Storm.

This post has received more attention than I expected. Therefore, I decided to reinstall and retry Windows 7 Codecs, K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, and QT Lite. I follow the default steps during the installation to keep customization to a minimum. Feel free to share this post if you find it helpful.

The main reason I use codec pack is to play rmvb files and I despised installation of a separate RealPlayer. K-Lite Mega Codec Pack was once my favourite codec pack. However, since I switched from Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit, K-Lite does not work well anymore.

I am using Windows 7 Codecs from Shark007 now (Vista alternative). It does not associate to any specific player, and thus allowing Windows Media Player to play rmvb files smoothly. (Remember to run Windows 7 Codecs as administrator, and select "windows filetype associations" to associate video files with Windows Media Player.)

If you need Quicktime plugin for internet browsers (for example, listen to pronunciation), you will need to install QT Lite. (QT Lite is the stripped-down version of the bulky and annoying Quicktime Player.)

I have not encountered the needs for RealPlayer plugin, but just in case, the link. If you have no problem with K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, here you go (also see the archived text for description of K-Lite).

Screenshot:

Edited 22 Jan 2011.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foxit Reader vs. PDF-XChange Viewer

Apple event 23 October 2012

Glitch at Microsoft Store Singapore: $5 Office 2013 Pro